Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Bookworm Wednesday

Fortune's Rocks by Anita Shreve



I just finished this book this weekend, in fact I spent most of Sunday immersed in this book. I simply could not put it down. I picked it because I had just finished The Pilot's Wife by the same author and I was interested in the storyline. I will admit that I hated it at first. I blame this mostly on my poor vocabulary and the fact that it took me a few pages to adjust to how they speak so formally in every day conversation. As I said I do not blame the book nor does it detract from the story in any way. They are very proper and well spoken in this story which is set in New Hampshire in 1899. Once I got the hang of it I fell completely in love with this book. It is easily one of my favorite books! It has wonderfully unique storyline and the time and place only add to its charm. It tells of a torrid love affair between 15 year old Olympia and her (eeek!) 40 year old lover. (don't judge) It really isn't as creepy as it sounds...really. :) It is about this very intelligent, quick witted girl on the edge of womanhood and her struggles in the years after the summer in which she falls in love with this man 3 times her age. I never found the age difference to be an issue although it clearly IS. I thought the book was passionate, heartbreaking and beautiful. I love that Olympia, although very young, is such a strong female in that she never quite fits the mold that has been laid out for her by society and her father and eventually finds her voice and the courage to live her own life. I loved this book and want desperately to add it to my collection.



Happy Reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment